Friday 22 March 2013

Making Kelp Fertilizer

We took this photo out at St. John's Conservation Centre here in Niagara.
Our son asked is the moss was "old seaweed". 

The boys and I (Meap and SK) started some lovely sea kelp fertilizer. It would be ready in about a week or so, and we'll introduce it to a few experimental plants (to make sure its good) and then... I will report here how it's g(row)oing! I anticipate that the valuable minerals and nutrients will be a yummy treat to our babies.

I would encourage you to do your own research and see what you come up with. All I know is, commercial liquid kelp fertilizer is EXPENSIVE!

NOTE: *** I was hoping to find Canadian Kelp, sold here in Niagara but there is none to buy when I called around to the 4 health-food stores... so I spent the $1.99 at the local Asian Grocery Store, and the product I found was harvested in China. It hurt me to compromise my usual "buy local" "buy Canadian" philosophy... but this was an exceptional experiment, and not a "typical" purchase pattern of our household. ***

Rather than making a blog entry, I used my YouTube account this time, and you can view the video here.

Making Kelp Fertilizer for Seedlings <--- click here for the youtube video.

Enjoy and let me know what you use for your seedlings to give them a boost of nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment